Murray Construction is a regional general contractor whose mission is to build that which is lasting. In the structures we build and the relationships we grow, we pursue excellence, for our clients and each other, as we endeavor to build something greater than ourselves. Our unique culture, dedicated people, and proven process work together to deliver on our core values of Excellence, Transparency, Teamwork, Growth, and Transcendence.
The Director of Financial Operations (DFO) is the leader of all financial operations within the company. In the current organizational structure, the DFO reports to the President and may hire and direct other financial and accounting positions. The DFO position is a leadership team position and requires an experienced financial leader who is above-reproach, has excellent leadership and management skills, can effectively set and manage department policy, and is committed to helping set and achieve the business plan of the company. A consistent strong desire to continually build new, and improve existing, accounting and management processes of an expanding company is expected. Required skills include proven personnel management, ability to meet operational deadlines, excellent time management, leadership, attention to detail, efficiency, knowledge and experience in construction-related percentage-of-completion method job cost accounting, knowledge and aptitude related to fundamental and general accounting principles, and the potential to grow with the company. The position requires either experience in, or openness and ability to train and use, leading-edge technology, software, processes, and procedures that produce accurate, efficient results. The DFO must have the ability to work the hours required to oversee the financial operations of the company.
ESSENTIALFUNCTIONS, including but not limited to
Department Management, Personnel Management, and Training
o Responsible for overseeing company financial and human resources operations including, but not limited to accounting, treasury and cash management, financial analysis, banking, benefits, insurance/bonding, and human resources.
o Assign and oversee day-to-day responsibilities for financial operations personnel.
o Actively develop and manage implementation of accounting training
o Use experience, leadership skills, and knowledge of fundamental accounting processes to actively lead and manage the accounting staff, in word and example.
o Develop, document, and maintain financial policies and procedures
o Engage in leadership and management techniques that are above reproach, both internally and externally.
o Identify and appropriately mitigate risk associated with the financial related business of the company.
o Ensure the flow of financial information and completion of financial/accounting processes internally and externally is maintained timely and accurately.
o Communicate and stay abreast of the latest tax, financial reporting, payroll, and other financial-related information and techniques that affect(s) company processes,
policies, and procedures.
o Build effective relationships with customers, consultants, vendors, subcontractors, specialty contractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company vision, mission, and core values and exceeds the customer's expectations.
o Analyze operations, assets, and processes and make recommendations on new strategies to improve efficiency, effectiveness, and profitability
o Analyze industry trends, peer data, and other information to make financial recommendations and decisions
Banking, Cash, and Investment Accounts
o Oversee relationship with the Company’s banking contacts along with the President
o Oversee all aspects of cash accounts, line of credit accounts, debt accounts (if applicable) and other company accounts. Oversee deposits and operating account management.
o Oversee the accounting of company assets
o Analyze assets and operations to proactively make recommendations on new strategies to improve profitability
Accounting and Payroll
o Develop/maintain sound process for and oversee the timely and accurate management of accounting and payroll, including but not limited to:
* General Ledger and Chart of Accounts
* Job cost accounting
* Accounts Payable
* Accounts Receivable, including collections
* Credit Accounts
* Expense Management
Project Accounting Support
o Oversee Financial Operations’ service to construction operations, including involvement with project setup/closeout, software integration, maintaining project logs, project accounting data entry, check requests, customer/vendor tax and insurance management, and material invoice transmittals.
Financial Budgeting and Reporting
o Prepare internal monthly financial statements, with related reports and budgets in accordance with established procedures.
o Coordinate with outside CPA consultant for periodic reviewed or audited financial statements and tax related work.
o Work with CPA firm to complete general contractor license renewals in multiple states.
o Oversee human resources and benefits management
Insurance and Bonding
o Work with company President to manage corporate insurance and bonding relationships.
o Work with Construction Services Department to manage general liability, workers compensation, and builders risk insurance policies/procedures.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or other equivalent four-year college graduate program.
· Possess proven personnel management experience.
· Possess (10) years post-graduate employed experience with an organization or multiple organizations in an accounting or finance capacity.
· At least five (5) years post-graduate employed experience in accounting or finance capacity with an organization that does not primarily provide accounting services is preferred.
· Experience leading and managing a department is preferred.
· At least five (5) years of service directly employed with, or directly managing the professional accounting relationship of, one or more commercial general contracting organizations with accrual based, job cost, percentage of completion accounting methods is preferred.
· This is a leadership position. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and have the vision to further develop the department appropriately.
· Ability to work the hours required to meet deadlines and successfully oversee the financial operations of the company.
· Ability to recruit, hire, manage, and be promoted as the company grows.
· Ability to work in a team environment and fit in with company culture and processes.
· Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
· Good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies.
· Good business sense with willingness to learn, adapt, and expand into new responsibilities.
CERTIFICATES and/or LICENSES
· Must be proficient in computer software programs used for construction accounting with particular emphasis on Sage 300accounting software, Sage Paperless invoice routing software, and Procore project management software.
· Possess strong computer knowledge and typing skills. Proficiency with all Microsoft Office products, especially Excel, but including Word, Access, and PowerPoint.