The Senior Estimator has a key role in the Preconstruction Services Department and is responsible for managing from inception to completion the estimating process for all projects assigned to this role. This process includes but may not be limited to business development, client engagement, budget development/submission, detailed and comprehensive quantity takeoff, accurate cost evaluation, subcontractor/supplier bid solicitation, subcontractor/supplier scope/qualification/cost evaluation, risk evaluation, and bid submission. The Senior Estimator is also responsible for management of assigned estimating personnel, preconstruction technology assessment/development, final approval of bids/budgets prepared by assigned personnel, management of subcontractor/supplier relations, and continual development of preconstruction procedures/processes. The Senior Estimator reports to the Chief Estimator or Director of Preconstruction Services and receives report from positions including, but not limited to Estimators, Estimating Assistants, and administrative personnel assigned to preconstruction-related business. The Senior Estimator requires a forward-thinking, progressive, dynamic leader who has excellent personnel management skills, an internal and external focus, and the desire to be promoted in a growing company. Required skills include business development, client relations, subcontractor-vendor relations, excellent time management, leadership, efficiency, and fundamental estimating. The position requires significant knowledge of and experience with cutting-edge technology, processes, and procedures that produce accurate, efficient results. The Senior Estimator coordinates with other management and senior level positions within the company to share information, ensure streamlined processes across departments, and achieve the business plan of the company.
Duties: ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, including but not limited to
- Assigns day-to-day responsibilities for preconstruction personnel assigned to this position.
- Ensures appropriate preconstruction correspondence related to his/her assignments both internal and external to the company.
- Maintains awareness of company business development efforts to identify and track client and project pursuits.
- Uses experience, leadership skills, and knowledge of fundamental preconstruction processes to manage assigned projects and tasks, and to serve as a leader to other team members, in word and example.
- Identify and appropriately mitigate risk associated with the business of preconstruction estimating for assigned projects.
- Actively build and monitor subcontractor/supplier database and relationships to ensure the best pricing.
- Manages the effective standardization, organization, preparation, and proper distribution/submission of preconstruction solicitations, qualification submissions, company information, and other preconstruction-related correspondence associated with projects assigned to this role, both upstream and downstream, on behalf of the company.
- Performs and/or manages the project qualification, solicitation, quantity survey, scheduling, scoping, clarifying, and pricing effort for assigned preconstruction projects assigned to this role, resulting in well-organized, professional correspondence and reports.
- Prepares properly qualified and clarified conceptual budgets based on minimal information.
- Ensures the flow of preconstruction information internally and externally is maintained and documented.
- Communicates and stays abreast of the latest information, both internally and externally, that
affects all aspects of cost used to prepare preconstruction estimates and correspondence.
- Coordinates business development and qualification correspondence requirements with company marketing representatives.
- Maintains and communicates data on construction and material cost trends affecting preconstruction cost databases.
- Analyzes alternative means and methods to determine the most economic preconstruction alternative.
- Serves as default point of contact and advisor for assigned potential clients from initial contact to the proper point of transfer to project management representatives.
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, specialty contractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company vision, mission, and core values and meets or exceeds the customer's expectations.
- Performs other duties as required to enhance all aspects of the Preconstruction Department and serve in key role to support the vision, mission, and core values of the company.
- Perform turnkey estimating duties from time of project’s introduction to company to beginning of construction, including the following:
- Organize/Update/Submit prequalification data as required
- Create/maintain organized estimate files
- Take responsibility for all preconstruction correspondence with all involved parties, including bid invitations,
requests for information, addenda, and scope of work clarifications
- Establish complete understanding of project scope of work related to the request for proposal
- List comprehensive estimate with detailed line items appropriate for the scope of work of each project
- Solicit accurate pricing from qualified subcontractors/vendors/suppliers to ensure adequate competitive
coverage of each estimate line item
- Organize project site visits if necessary to define scope and familiarity with the project
- Define/confirm scope of work for each subcontractor/vendor/supplier and produce written scope sheet
certified by same if other documentation of scope is not completely clear
- Generate a solid, comprehensive estimate that can be managed without buyout savings to produce the estimated
fee included, with content and clarifications appropriate for preconstruction stage of project
- Submit proposal in a professional manner and in timeframe and format required. Include scope of work
clarifications document to clarify any relevant information not clarified in the bid documents
- Participate in meeting with project management team to prepare any successful estimates for construction
Qualifications: KNOWLEDGE, SKILL and ABILITIES
- Be proficient in and able to implement and train others on computer software programs used for preconstruction with emphasis on ISQFT bid management software and Sage 300 (formerly called Timberline) accounting and estimating software.
- Possess strong mathematical and computer skills. Proficiency with all MS Office products (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Ability to breakdown construction operations into a logical sequence of activities
- Ability to work in a team environment and fit in with company culture and processes.
- Ability to professionally operate in a fast-paced environment maintained by a company in a positive, controlled growth mode.
- Ability to work the hours required to support the role of Senior Estimator.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and put in the time needed to get the job done.
- Effective professional oral and written communication skills
- Must possess a strong work ethic and values that are above-reproach.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal skills.
- Good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Building Construction, Building Science, or other equivalent construction program.
- Possess at least seven (7) years employed experience with a general contractor, with at least three (3) years of service dedicated to preconstruction.